Food – Dinner (SGMag) Sweet Italian Sausage Lasagna is here for the making. A great Sweet Italian Sausage Lasagna should be layered with noodles, sauce, herbs and delicious cheeses, all baked to a taste of perfection. And that’s what Sweet Italian Sausage Lasagna is all about giving you the full Italian food experience.
We’re telling you–your family is going to love this dinner recipe and you’re making enough for next day’s lunch. So, check your fridge and pantry for the ingredients below and what’s missing just add to shopping list. Now let’s get started…
Our recipe makes 12 serving
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 3/4 asiago cheese, sliced
- 3/4 white cheddar cheese, sliced or American
- 3/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
Directions For Italian Sausage Lasagna
1. Cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat stove top until well browned. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
4. To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and add other cheeses on different layers. Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover the dish with foil wrap: to prevent sticking and either spray foil with cooking spray.
By Ella Perry, Food.